1 Dead After West Side House Fire - WICU12 HD WSEE Erie, PA News, Sports, Weather, Events

1 Dead After West Side House Fire - 6PM UPDATE

Posted: Updated:

One man is dead after a Erie house fire Sunday morning on at 257 W. 21st Street.
The fire started about 7am and was contained to the top floor apartment of the two-story building.

The victim, fifty-nine year old Thomas Argeny, was found dead  from smoke inhalation in  a second floor bedroom. The other three residents of the building were able to evacuate safely.

Erie's chief fire inspector believes the fire was caused by an overloaded extension cord.

 "The cause of the fire was electrical due to the fact that there was a refrigerator plugged into a cheap extension cord, which was plugged into another extension cord that had a strip. And there were a number of things plugged into that strip. And that's where it failed, right there," said Guy Santone. 

The Erie County coroner on duty has ruled the fire death, accidental. One firefighter, Daniel Palmer, was also injured during the fire after he slipped and fell, likely caused by the slick conditions.  He was taken to UPMC for treatment, and has since been released.

Submit your event now
Powered by WorldNow
3514 State St. Erie, PA 16508
Newsroom: (814)454-8812
Toll Free: 1(800)454-8812
Business offices: (814)454-5201
WICU FCC Filing
WSEE FCC Filing
Share:
Share Stories
Submit your stories to our site!
Share Photos
Share your photos in our community galleries
Mobile:
Mobile Site
Be sure to stay constantly updated with the power of WICU12 and WSEE at your fingertips
Free Android App
Free iPhone App
Free iPad App
Storm Tracker App
Droid
iPhone
iPad
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and WICU. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
                   WICU/WSEE - 3514 State Street Erie, PA 16508 - (814) 454-5201 - info@wicu12.com